The Student Orientation, Advising, and Registration (SOAR) program is an exciting part of the year for CCAS. Each summer and winter we meet with approximately a third of all incoming students. The one thing they have in common is that they’re all wondering, “Which major is right for me?”
Students begin to explore this question, and many others, with their professional advisors and peer advisors at SOAR. During SOAR you will:
• advise with a professional & peer advisor
• review your placement test scores
• discuss AP, transfer, and other credits you’re bringing in
• learn how to search for, choose, and enroll in classes
• discover how your classes and credits meet degree requirements
• learn how to make changes to your schedule
• get assigned to an academic advisor
This is an accordion element with a series of buttons that open and close related content panels.
How do I know if CCAS is the right place for me at SOAR?
CCAS is the advising home of many different students. You might find CCAS to be your best advising option if you:
• are exploring many major and academic options
• are interested in a few majors across different schools or colleges
• are still figuring out where your interests lie
• are planning to apply to a limited-enrollment program on campus
• are planning to apply to the College of Engineering as a cross-campus student
Where can I learn more about what happens at SOAR?
Check the SOAR website for useful information to help you prepare for your SOAR experience.
How do I reach my advisor after SOAR?
SOAR is just your first interaction with CCAS – we want to continue to see and hear from you during your time at UW-Madison! And we know that sometimes after SOAR, more questions come up, or there are changes that you’d like to discuss with your advisor. Here’s how to connect with your advisor after SOAR:
•Contact the CCAS main office at firstname.lastname@example.org
• Email your assigned advisor with quick questions. Your advisor is listed in your MyUW tab